The Australian Honey Bee Industry Council (AHBIC) is the national
representative body for the honey bee industry.
AHBIC works to protect the long-term economic viability, security and prosperity of the sector
and to promote the important links between the honey bee and healthy Australians.
To maximise the efficient use of industry resources and funds to ensure the long term economic viability, security and prosperity of the Australian honey bee industry in Australia.
A sustainable and profitable Australian honey bee industry providing food security and market opportunities.
Our roles and responsibilities
- To foster, promote, enhance and protect the interests of the Australian honey bee industry and the viability of its members
- To represent industry policy at all levels of government, private enterprise and the public
- To promote, support, seek amendments to, or oppose any legislation or measure that may affect the industry
- To assist and/or cooperate with any organisation, body, association, person or persons in the best interests of AHBIC
- To enhance the industry by encouraging the adoption of best practice in production, quality assurance, presentation and promotion of its products
- To conduct educational, promotional and public relations campaigns in the best interest of the industry and AHBIC, where appropriate
- To gather and distribute industry intelligence from local and international sources to members, and to function as a channel for information exchange within Australia as well as between Australia and other countries, leading to better a understanding of the industry
- To enhance the development of all industry sectors through education and extension to interdependent industries within the public and agricultural communities
- To act in any way not defined in these objects considered advisable in the best interest of the industry
- To be accountable to the members of AHBIC.
A new AHBIC Approach
Our five year roadmap
Deal with the urgent
Unlocking ‘Friends of AHBIC’ to engage beekeepers, etc to
- Fund the Strategic Plan
- Employ a new CEO; and
- Reset the foundations / communications of AHBIC while delivering on the 6 key issues prioritised through
- Resourcing (funding)
Deliver the important
Leverage and build relationships that proactively deliver results for beekeepers and funders
- Deliver the Strategic Plan
- Demonstrate value to beekeepers
- Secure Floral Resources
- Strong Biosecurity
- Pesticide risks
- Well functioning markets
- Quality products
Optimise the results & work smarter
Focus strongly on reviewing results and tweaking for improvements
- Build of the 5-6 key issues
- Focus on the issues / campaigns as a seriously united industry
- Build strength through real partnerships with other advocates