Bee quick: New honey bee and pollination development grants to boost the industry
AgriFutures Honey Bee & Pollination Program Industry Development Grants are now open for the 2023-24 application period.
The grants seek to expand industry understanding, knowledge and skills to drive the Australian honey bee and pollination industry into the future. This year there is a particular focus on supporting Early Career Researchers (ECR) on their research journey.
Annelies McGaw, Manager, Research AgriFutures Australia said the industry development grants were introduced to address current challenges.
“It’s been a tough few years for the industry. The 2019/20 Black Summer bushfires, the floods in Northern NSW earlier in the year, and now biosecurity threats like varroa mite have resulted in significant hive losses, with potentially devastating implications for the nation’s agricultural sectors and food security resources.”
“While research and development will play a role in rebuilding the industry, participation and innovation are key to ensure the profitability and sustainability of the industry,” said Ms McGaw.
Applications for the Industry Development Grants (up to $7,000) may focus on, but are not limited to, research funding including PhD top-ups, industry body development, personal development or travel.
“Ultimately applicants must clearly demonstrate a strong benefit for the industry at large and not just to one organisation or individual,” said Ms McGaw.
Applications must also address one or more of the strategies outlined in the Strategic Plan.
These include to:
- Identify and develop technology for improved hive performance
- Increase capacity within research community and future industry leaders
- Improve understanding of nutrition best practice and disease interaction
- Improve understanding of the benefits of honey and develop chain traceability
- Improve understanding of pollination strategies that impact crop yields and improve hive health
- Improve understanding of floral resources as assets for the Australian honey bee industry.
For more information on application requirements, evaluation criteria and Terms of Reference visit: https://agrifutures.com.au/funding-opportunity/honey-bee-and-pollination-program-industry-development-grants
Applications close Monday, 5 February 2024 at 12 noon (AEDT).